The Mosaic Partnership is a diverse international consulting team offering perspectives in place management, place marketing and placemaking from the United Kingdom, the United States and around the world.
With hundreds of successful clients served, we have developed practical solutions to improving and revitalising town and city centres, business parks, commercial business districts and communities. Our approach brings together private sector stakeholders and public sector leaders to develop strategies that directly benefit the local economy.
Our experience includes projects ranging from on-the-ground work with individual locations and communities; to regional, national and international work exploring broader trends, best practices and solutions to complex place-based issues. Specifically, this includes:
Town and City Centres, Business Parks, Communities
- Advising over 100 individual locations around the world, and successfully assisting in the creation of more than 50 successful Business Improvement Districts (BIDs).
- Delivery of scalable capacity building programmes and partnership development support, to establish effective place management and help ensure its sustainability.
- Development of a proven three-phased approach to BID creation that helps move a place from concept and feasibility testing through to plan development, campaign and formal creation. We have supported large cities to smaller town centres and individual business parks, all utilising our successful approach.
- Guidance in the development and implementation of placemaking and place marketing strategies, including comprehensive city centre planning; creative economic development approaches; property and development appraisal; and positioning, branding and marketing/communications strategies.
Developing and implementing regional training to assist in capacity building and partnership delivery for individual locations in a larger area. Specifically, The Mosaic Partnership:
- Created and facilitated the East Midlands Partnership and BIDs Academy Pilot Programme, which included the delivery of a capacity building programme, BID feasibility studies and partnership training for 30 individual locations over the course of two years
- Developing the Warwickshire BIDs Development Programme, where The Mosaic Partnership helped to develop BIDs in Rugby, Royal Leamington Spa, Stratford Upon Avon and Hams Hall Business Park and has provided practical implementation support since 2006
National and International Guidance
The Mosaic Partnership has been integrally involved in developing effective place management partnerships and guiding the development of BIDs throughout the UK, including:
- Serving as part of the UK’s national BIDs Pilot Programme which covered 22 different locations across the UK to test draft national BID legislation and create good practice approaches and guidelines
- Development of The Ten Step Guide to BID and Partnership Development, a best-practice document (this guide can be downloaded on our resources page)
- Serving on the national Association of Town Centre Management (ATCM) Board of Directors advising on the development of the industry in the UK
- Work with – and advice to – numerous trade bodies and business organisations, including the British Retail Consortium (BRC), British Beer & Pub Association (BBPA), Federation of Small Businesses (FSB), Confederation of British Industry (CBI), the British Property Federation (BPF) and several Chambers of Commerce
- Advice, expert evidence and presentations to multiple government bodies, including the All Parliamentary Group, numerous Parliamentary Select Committees, the Department of Communities and Local Government, the Home Office, and several Ministerial Working Groups
We have also provided research, guidance, and on-the-ground support internationally on place management, placemaking and place marketing solutions. Specifically our team has been involved in:
- Advising on the development of BID legislation in the Netherlands, Austria, Germany and Singapore and significant work forming BIDs across the USA
- Advice and direct support for the development of place management partnership approaches in the USA, South Africa and Singapore
- Experience establishing and managing creative place management and economic development funding strategies, including tax increment finance (TIF) districts, community development corporation (CDCs) and various not-for-profit structures
- Creative solutions to help distinctive locations establish brand, marketing and communications approaches to strengthen the vibrancy and economic vitality of their districts
- Serving on the International Downtown Association Board of Directors
Throughout all our work, and in all the services we offer, we take pride in providing approaches and solutions that have been successfully utilised and tested in various contexts. Our team of professionals have all served as practitioners on the ground, meaning our work is based on real experience facilitating place management, place marketing and placemaking initiatives in a variety of locations.